Monday, March 26, 2012

Truly Magic Buttons

Seriously, I want to tell you about magic buttons.  This may come as a shock to faithful readers who know that when faced with any product representing itself as magic, I usually respond with, “Apply some critical thinking!”  But this is different.  The magic buttons I refer to are the ones that turn off or change stations on your radio or television.  The fact that there are such buttons should come as no surprise, but when I see how many people complain about being "offended" by something they heard or saw, I don’t think these buttons are used enough.

What brought this to mind is the latest minor controversy involving the Doonesbury comic strip commenting on Texas abortion sonogram debate (and subsequent letters to the editor).  This is not the first time Doonesbury has tackled controversial subjects, and I know of one newspaper that thought it appropriate to move the strip to the editorial page long ago.  Doonesbury appears in my local newspaper, although I seldom read it.  I don’t have strong feelings about this particular subject, but the humor of Doonesbury just does not appeal to me, and I have better things to do with my time.  There are other columns, as well as television and radio shows that fall into the same category.  There’s no button on the newspaper, but no one is forcing me to read everything, so I pick and choose, making my own decision.  Smart media executives eventually survey readers to find out what is popular and adjust accordingly.  (For example, here's an article mentioning Oprah's use of survey information.)  If I’m in the minority, which I often am, no adjustments will be made and I will just keep managing my own exposure using the off and channel-change buttons.  I’ll choose to be discriminating rather than offended.

I take this course because I feel strongly about the First Amendment.  All are free to express beliefs or state opinions no matter how outrageous.  If people don’t agree they can tune them out or turn them off – or they can make calm, rational counterarguments.  Eventually the worst will lose their support and platform.  I’m patient.  I can wait.  (Impatience is a great enemy of perspective.)

What I can’t understand are those self-righteous types who make a big fuss and demand apologies, boycotts and retribution.  Sometimes I agree with their point of view, sometimes I don’t; but I fail to see what gives them the right to dictate my choices based on their taste or morals.  If something disturbs or offends them, let them use their magic buttons.  If they think certain things are not appropriate for their children, let them get more involved in their children’s lives. 

By the way, another magic button is the mute button on the TV remote.  Used during commercials, it provides some nice quiet time, time to relax or converse with your family, and just ignore all the sales pitches.  I use it frequently and recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click again on the title to add a comment